Individuals facing sex crime charges have a lot to lose, but each case involves unique circumstances, and both sides of the story need to be heard before any consequences are given. Due to the severe nature of sex offenses, those charged might fear the loss of employment opportunities and the overall stigma attached to this type of crime. Whatever the case, everyone is innocent until proven guilty, and everyone deserves to have their rights defended.
Common Sex Crimes
Sex crimes in Arkansas encompass several offenses, including:
- Internet sex crimes
- Indecent exposure
- Child pornography
What are the Penalties for Sex Crimes in Arkansas?
The penalties for sex crimes in Arkansas vary depending on the specific offense, but they can be pretty severe. Some examples of sex crimes in Arkansas and their potential penalties include:
- Rape: This is a Class Y felony, Arkansas's most severe crime category. It is punishable by life imprisonment or imprisonment for not less than ten years.
- Sexual Assault: Class B Felony, punishable by not less than five years imprisonment or not more than 20 years imprisonment in the Arkansas Department of Correction and a fine not to exceed $15,000
- Sexual Misconduct: Class D felony, punishable by not more than six years imprisonment in the Arkansas Department of Correction and a fine not to exceed $10,000
- Indecent exposure: This is a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $2,500.
- Possession of child pornography is a Class C felony, punishable by 3 to 10 years imprisonment in the Arkansas Department of Correction and a fine not to exceed $10,000.
- Distribution of child pornography: This is a Class B felony, punishable by not less than five years and not more than 20 years in the Arkansas Department of Correction and a fine not to exceed $15,000
- Internet luring of a child: A Class C felony, punishable by 3 to 10 years in the Arkansas Department of Correction and a fine not to exceed $10,000
It's important to note that these penalties are subject to change, depending on the case and details of the crime. Additionally, some people convicted of sex crimes may also be required to register as sex offenders, which can have significant long-term consequences.
Are you or a loved one facing sex crime charges in Arkansas? Call Nelson & Marks PLLC today at (479) 202-4541 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our sex crimes attorney in Bentonville!
One of the best options for pursuing a fair outcome in a sex crimes case is to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney. Whether you have been charged with indecent exposure or aggravated sexual assault, a lawyer can evaluate all aspects of your case to challenge any evidence against you. Our team uses years of experience to help clients fight these charges and avoid the highly severe consequences of a conviction.
What Are Some Defense Strategies Against Sex Crimes?
In Arkansas, as in most states, those convicted of a sex crime are required to register as a sex offender in a public online database. Registering in this database could impact where you can work, live, and more. To produce an effective defense strategy to protect you from the sex offender registry, your attorney should thoroughly investigate every detail possible. This may include scientific and physical evidence such as DNA, phone or computer records, and eyewitnesses.
Sex crime charges can cause emotions to run high for all parties, and the facts can be distorted. It is your lawyer’s job to separate fact from fiction and ensure that any exaggeration of the events does not impact the case's outcome.
Contact Our Sex Crime Attorney Today
With our well-respected and trustworthy firm by your side, you can take comfort in knowing that we will work diligently to fight for the best possible outcome. We are highly experienced in criminal defense law, allowing us to understand the legal complexities necessary to protect our clients' rights.
Contact Nelson & Marks PLLC today to schedule a FREE consultation with our sex crimes lawyer in Bentonville!
- Former Prosecutor
- Personal Access and Care
- Client-Rated 5 Stars
- Genuine Compassion and Support